Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Terrorist Wanted His Mummy

Shujah Ud-Dir-Mahmood, 19, is currently on trial with three other men at the Old Bailey for plotting terror attacks in Britain. He had received weapons training with the others at a terrorist training camp in Pakistan. He told the court:

I got quite depressed when I was there. I used to spend a lot of time on my own, sitting in a ditch. I used to start crying when everyone else went to sleep. I missed my mum a lot.
He claims that he tried to leave the terrorist training camp but was prevented from doing so:
I never meant to start any training.I remember Khyam coming up before the end of the camp and I spoke to him about it. I said to him: 'Look, I'm at this camp, we're doing training, we're not being fed well, we're doing night training, what is this c***? I said I wanted to leave. But he said: 'It's not as simple as calling a taxi and saying let's go mate."He said I was going to have to stick it out and I couldn't just go like that.
Yet, on his return to Britain he didn't inform the authorities about the terrorist activities of his friends. He went along with their plans until they were caught; only then did he decide he had been forced into it.