Monday, November 13, 2006

Archbishop Slams Veils and BBC

Dr John Sentamu, the Archbishop of York, has launched an attack on the veil and the BBC. Of the former he said that it did not conform to "norms of decency" in Britain. He said:

I think in the British context it renders you less secure because you stick out and it brings unwelcome attention. On the first question (of whether the veil conforms to norms of decency) I don't think it does conform.

You know, when I visit Orthodox synagogues I never take a cross. When I go into Muslim mosques I take it off. When I go into a Sikh temple I cover my head. And I can’t simply say, ‘Take me as I am, whether you like it or not’. I think the thing is in British society you can wear what you want, but you can’t expect British society to be reconfigured around you. No minority can expect to impose this on the public or civic life.
Well said. And his comments on the BBC are very telling too:
We get more knocks. They can do to us what they dare not do to the Muslims. We are fair game because they can get away with it. We don’t go down there and say, ‘We are going to bomb your place.’ It is not within our nature.
Another point that Dr Sentamu didn't make was that the BBC has its own inherent bias that is only multiplied by those threats.