Monday, November 06, 2006

Muslim "Almost Ashamed" for Incitement

Mizanur Rahman, who is on trial for inciting murder at the infamous protest over the Danish cartoons, told the court that he simply got carried away. He had gone to the protest and besides holding placards that read, "let’s annihilate those who insult Islam" and "behead those who insult Islam". At one point he was given a microphone and told the crowd:

Oh Allah, we want to see another 9/11 in Iraq, another 9/11 in Denmark, another 9/11 in Spain, in France, all over Europe. Oh Allah, destroy all of them.
In court, today, he said:
At the time it didn't seem like such a big deal. People more famous than me had been saying the same thing. I feel almost ashamed.....

The majority of this was a prayer. When I was given the mic, I didn't know what to say. I said what other people had said during the demo and what was on the placards. I was repeating what I heard in other speeches.
A few things strike me. Firstly, why is he "almost ashamed"? Secondly, if he regrets what he did, will he be giving the police the names and addresses of the other "famous" people who were inciting the crowd?

Lastly, if he is telling the truth it shows just how dangerous these preachers of hate are. If they were able to incite this man into such a state with just a few speeches, imagine what listening to them for a long period can do. The government must really crack down on people who preach hatred and who incite others to murder and hate.